The areas of focus in Massachusetts 4-H are science, engineering and technology (including animal science), communication skills and citizenship (including leadership and community service). Since these are the current areas of focus, state, regional and national event opportunities support these project areas.
At the local level, a 4-H club may elect to have any project of interest to the members and leaders. The 4-H project is the vehicle by which youth learn valuable life and work skills while working under the leadership of caring adult mentors. 4-H curriculum is available to support over 50 project areas. Your local 4-H Educator can help you identify appropriate curriculum.
There are some additional state level prpgram opportunities. These include:
- 4th H for Health Challenge; 4-H clubs can take on this challenge to bring three healthy practices to their club meetings. Turn in the challenge tracker and order free 4th H for Health pins for all club members. Send the completed tracker to Sherrie Guyott, 400 Main St., Walpole, 02081 and indicated how many youth in your club completed the challenge.
- State Photography Contest (July); open to all enrolled MA 4-H members.
- State Clothing Judging and Fashion Revue (see "Contests" under Forms and Applications); open to all MA 4-H members that meet entry criteria.
- Action Exhibits and stage presentations in the New England Center at the Big E; members must be selected to participate at their local Visual Presentation Program. For more information about what is required to do a Visual Presentaton or other exhibit or performance at the Big E, click here.
There are some county and regional program opportunities. These include:
- Window Exhibits; these are not offered in every county.
Berkshire County 4-H Window Exhibit, Poster and Photo Contest 2016
Northeast Region 4-H Club Exhibits
- Winter Workshops/Winter Forums are held in the Western, Southeastern and Northeastern Regions of the state in January and February. These are open to all enrolled 4-H volunteers, members and their parents. Pre-registration is required.
- Western Region 2016 4-H Winter Workshop Registration Packet